Thursday, May 20, 2010

Coconut in What?

Another Southern staple food besides fried chicken is mashed potatoes. Their mmm mmm good! But when I was still staying away from rice milk, soy milk, and I hadn't discovered almond milk yet, it was really hard to make creamy mashed potatoes!

In comes the miracle ingredient (dah dah dah dah!) coconut milk:

Coconut in mashed potatoes? How can that be?

It's pretty good actually. It gives the potatoes a sweetish (no sugar), rich taste, much like butter and if you add just a little salt and pepper, you've got yourself a rockin' side dish! I've even found reduced fat coconut milk at some health food or Asian grocery stores. Now that I've started using the other alternative milk products, I still prefer the coconut milk.

Dairy Free, Soy Free, Gluten Free, Nut Free Mashed Potatoes
6-8 small to medium Russet Potatoes (or potatoes of your choice)
1/2 can coconut milk (your choice of reduced fat or regular)
1/2 tsp of salt or to taste
1/4 tsp of salt or to taste
1-1 1/2 cup of water

Chop up the potatoes (pealed or un-pealed) into a large pot. Boil until you can easily cut with a fork. Drain water (if you've got the "skills" you can try to leave in some of the water from boiling instead of adding more--will leave more nutrients in the mash). Add the milk, water, salt, and pepper and mash until your a fan of the consistency.

This recipe's great with gluten free fried chicken! I'll have to post my recipe some time soon. Oh, and next week I'll remember to have my camera with me so I can upload photos from this past weekend's cooking-fried-rice-while-fixing-our-automated-sprinkler-system-with-my-parents extravaganza!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...