Thursday, July 22, 2010

Refried Go Power

Yesterday was the third day that Kevin, Seth, and myself have been eating off of a big pot of cooked beans (that's not all we've been eating, that's just a side that's lasting a long bit of time). It's got a mix of pinto, black, kidney, and red. Kevin cooked it up on Monday so yesterday I turned it into refried. Most recipes for refried call for like four cups of cooked beans and two cups of oil. Yuck! I've modified the recipe to where it's got like two cups of water and a table soon of oil (kind of like mashed potatoes). Way better.

Anyway, that's one of the carbs we've been running on lately. Yesterday, we took off toward campus around 8pm or so and played a little three-person football. I've come to realize that I need to work on two things in order to become the next Dallas Cowboy rookie of the year:
  1. I need to work on acceleration and speed. I lose Kevin and Seth in about the first 3 seconds the ball is loose and it kind of looks like I'm not even trying hard; might as well just stand still and sacrafice the body with a good tackle...then die after a after short life.
  2. I need to be able throw the ball farther than 12 yards...and do that accurately.
So, although I had a lot of fun running around like a chicken with it's head cut off, maybe pro football is not for me.

I'll always have the beans.

After sprinting around a bit, we came back to the house, I made refried for the next day, and then I went on a two mile run (see my time to the right). I'm pretty disappointed that I haven't sped up since I've been training for the half this summer (even by an average of 10 seconds would be great, please?!!). But I've come to realize that those large leaps of improvement only happen once a year. I had a leap around December-January where I started runing very long distances easily under 11 minutes per mile, so I'm not yet due for one.

But I'm having fun. "Run on" allergy peoples!

2 comments:

  1. I had no idea refried beans had so much fat in them!

    They are a staple around here, too. You should check out the monthly blog event, "My Legume Love Affair."

    http://thewellseasonedcook.blogspot.com/2009/07/my-legume-love-affair-past-present.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me neither! Cool blog. Like I mentioned in my previous most, I'm trying not to focus to much on food and recipes right now while I'm training for the half, but I'll definitely shoot you a few after it's over. Thanks for the comment!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...