Thursday, December 2, 2010

White Rock Marathon This Weekend!


Kent: "Can I eat it? Will it move? Can I chase it?
I'm baaaaaccckkk! :)

See our new Christmas Tree? That means it's time to run! This Sunday, December 5, I will be attempting my first ever (and probably last) marathon in Dallas, TX and Kevin will be attempting this 3rd. We've been training hard. We've been eating good. We've rested up various injuries. Now is the time to perform. I'm excited, but very nervous.

Shiny! Must touch shiny!
The Run
Kevin and I have been talking and we've come to several conclusions about this race:
  1. We're not going to do a marathon again, if not for a very long time.
  2. We're bringing our own food for the day before the race, so no potty trots, headaches, or loss of lung capacity due to funky foods in the gut.
  3. If Kevin's going to meet his goal race pace, it'll be because he's having a good running day and he's eaten that magic quantity and type of food that sits well on his stomach, so flip a coin.
  4. If I'm going to beat my goal race pace, I'm going to need to pay extra attention to my race pace at ALL TIMES, which is hard to do when I normally like to zone out and just run.
  5. I'm going to need to ignore foot pain for around half of the race. I'll see a doctor later if I need to.
#1 and #2 are pretty certain. Everything else is going to depend on us. I just hope to finish in under 5 hours.

The Food
In terms of food. I'm going to be cooking up some rice and bringing along some turkey and a few other easy to digest things for Saturday. I personally have to stay away from fiber the day before an extremely long run otherwise I'll end up spending more time in a port-a-potty than on the pavement. Kevin's probably going to follow my example as well. For the morning of the race, I'll be eating rice cakes with jam. Tasty? Not so much. But it's pure carb and pure sugar. So my inner chef is going to be on vacation, and in her place is Katherine "the machine."

For all the family peoples who will be running the marathon relay, hope y'all all have a good race and lots of fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...