Thursday, August 5, 2010

Gluten Free Breaded Turkey Fingers and More Kayaking

So this past week, Kevin and I tried to make some delish turkey fingers with some of the new Pamela's Bread Mix and Flour Blend that we bought when we were in Dallas at the beginning of the summer, and oh oh they were goo-hood! The recipe called for deep-fat frying, but we decided to just fry them up with a little coconut oil in the bottom of the pan. Oh, they were tasty. As a kid, I'd usually order chicken fingers and french fries where ever we'd go out to eat (since it's quite often a staple kids' food item in most American-style restaurants). I've not missed the calories those meals packed, but I do miss the taste! Next time, we're thinking about baking the turkey (or chicken, whichever one is already cooked) so we can get rid of more oil.

On another note, I was doing some graphic design research for an upcoming project at work and I was looking at the Sonic Web site. I took a quick gander at their "allergen info" link (those things change quite often so it's good to check back every once in a while), and I noticed that their french fries and tots don't have gluten, milk, peanut, egg, or soy ingredients (not that I have a problem with soy or egg, but that's just an FYI for those staying away). Whahoo! Kevin and I might partake of some this evening along with the rest of our fourth anniversary celebration. Yeah us! Love you, Kevin!

On to the kayaking. Yesterday, Kevin and I tried out the single-person kayaks and had a lot of fun. We noticed that we could go a lot faster than in the tandem kayak and we had less, ahem, coordination problems. On the other hand, it's a little more of a solitary activity (even though we were fairly close together most of the time) kind of like jogging. Still had some drama though (hee hee).

Here we are, sitting on the peaceful lake, watching ducks swim by, fish jump, and birds skim the top of the water. Beautiful and relaxing workout. [sigh...] Oh, how wovely and momantic!

Then we head on back to the lakehouse and Kevin decides it would be great fun to chuck a stick at me (piece of rotting something...). I yell out in pain and surpise and give him the bull elephant-death stare characteristic of the "great cap gun incident" of '06 (which was actually our honeymoon). We've come full circle, I know!

Now the average person might say "oh, did that hurt? Sorry I was just trying to be funny. Ready to go back to shore?" This statement shows remorse, gives an explanation, and changes the subject so that negativity is not dwelt upon for too long. Right? Least of all he could have just said, "oops" and then moved on. But that's not what happened.

Kevin chucked another stick.

His explanation: "I wasn't sure if you yelled because of an emotional reaction or because you were actually hurt, so I thought I'd throw another one to find out."

Ha! Sadistic! Cruel! And as I think about it a day later, quite funny. But man did that hurt.

Half-marathon update: Katrina looks to be working through her injury (don't hurt yourself Trina!), Kevin's still staying off of his, and I've completed my last long-long run before the half (did 12 1/2 miles last Saturday morning). Felt good afterwards, and I might have felt better had we not watched Into the Wild later that morning. Depressing beyond depressing. My soul is still healing after someone tried to suck it out of my body and stomp on it. Thanks Trina and Brian!

2 comments:

  1. When Kevin does things like that, that is when he becomes Glenn's son. :) Love ya

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! It's enough to send you into a "quandary." Love y'all!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...