Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Gluten Free, Cow Milk Free Coconut Cream Pie

When I asked what Kevin wanted me to bake him for our 4th anniversary, he said "Coconut Cream Pie!!!!" No hesitation. My husband and his family have been in love with this one recipe for forever so I called up his mom and got the specs (thanks Sandy!). The original version is full of cow milk and of course a flour-based pie shell. When it came time to make the pies, Kevin was like, I bet we can use that Pamela's Bread and Baking Mix to make you pie crust and then use goat milk for the filling! I hadn't even thought of making me one because I'm still trying not to focus on new pastry/sweet concoction recipes right now while I'm training for the half.

But we made me a version of the pie, and it's so good! I wish we had bought one of those throw away metal pie pans, because the one pyrex version we had was a little bit big, so the crust might have been spread out too thin and the pie filling didn't fill up the whole space. Other than that, we wouldn't change a thing. Kevin didn't even notice the goat milk taste and thought it was the real thing (although once he ate his version of the pie and went back to mine, he did notice a *slight* difference).

Gluten free, Cow Milk Free, Coconut Cream Pie
Filling:
1/3 cup of Pamela's Bread and Baking Mix
1 cup sugar
1/4 tsp salt
2 cups goat milk, scalded (microwave for 2 min)
3 slightly beaten egg yolks
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup shredded coconut

Crust:
I used Pamela's recipe except I used vegitable oil (soy) instead of butter (should be able to use any type of oil) and the recipe on the back of the package suggests refridgerating the dough for 30 minutes before baking. Poke holes in the crust with a fork around all sides and bottom (use a fork, one inch apart).

Mix flour, sugar, salt well in a cooking pot. Gradually add milk. Cook on medium heat until think, stirring constantly. Add small amount of hot mixture to the egg yolks (so not to cook the egg immediately). Stir egg into remaining hot mixture. Cook for two more minutes without stirring. Add vanilla and coconut. Cool and then pour into cooked pie crust.

Makes one pie.

Running update
My ankles and knees are telling me that I need new shoes. Kevin and I will be going to Academy today or tomorrow to pick up another one of my favorite pairs. Not normally supposed to get new shoes right before a race, but I'll break them in on a run on Wednesday and while walking throughout the week, and I've been getting the same pair for forever now and my feet are pretty much molded to shoe.

Also, here's a random word from Kent
"Life is best lived with eyes wide open." -A Word from Kent, mighty mighty Super Dog.

Ha! He's so cute, ain't he?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...