Thursday, August 19, 2010

Gluten Free, Milk Free Beef Stir-Fry Heaven

I was on http://www.msn.com/ the other day and noticed a link for quick recipes. So I clicked on it, fully prepared for the cheesy, gluten-filled recipes that normally saturate these types of articles, but I was happily surprised! Found a few to to print out and I tried out one later that night with Kevin.

It's called "Orange Scented Beef Stir-Fry" and the original recipes is located at http://www.delish.com/recipefinder/orange-scented-beef-stir-fry-recipe-5178?click=recipe_sr.

To tell you how good it is, Kevin and I argued over the leftovers. Kevin is not a big fan of leftovers.

It's not as quick as they advertised. I think it took us about 30-40 minutes. And of course we made a few changes based on what we had and what we wanted to deal with so I've listed out an altered recipe below. The recipe below is doubled from the original.

Ingredients
1 cup chicken broth (homemade, stored our freezer)
2 tablespoons arrowroot
4 tablespoons soy sauce (La Choy's gluten free)
4 tablespoons orange marmalade
2 tablespoons wine vinegar
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 tablespoon vegetable oil (soy)
2 pounds beef top sirloin (trimmed of fat and cut into 1/4 inch strips)
2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
2 large onions (slivered)
1 small green bell pepper (diced)
2 cups broccoli florets
2 cups peas

Directions
Combine 1 cup broth, arrowroot, soy sauce, marmalade, vinegar, and garlic in a bowl and mix well. Heat oil in a wok or large non-stick skillet over high heat. Add beef and stir-fry until brown. Transfer to a plate leaving the juices in the pan. Add ginger to the pan and stir-fry for 10-20 seconds until fragrant. Add onion, bell pepper, broccoli, and peas then add the remaining 1 cup of broth, cover and cook until the vegetables are crisp and tender. Push the vegetables to one side of the pan. Stir the sauce mixture and add it to the other side of the pan. Cook, stirring, until the sauce becomes think and translucent. Stir the vegetables into the sauce and return the beef to the pan. Mix well and serve immediately.

Comments
My mom came to visit a while back and fixed up some fried rice and she used some fresh ginger. She didn't use it all, so she chopped up the rest and froze it in a bag. Worked great!

Also, yesterday was my first run after the Hottest Half. It was a struggle to put on my running clothes and get out there with Kaiya. Once I did though, it felt so good to be moving again. Kevin and I have been a wee bit sore so we took it easy for a couple of days. I was pretty fast too in comparison to what I have been running (two miles in 20:06). Not sure what made the difference...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...